Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Fritillaria meleagris

These are two photos of Fritillaria meleagris in my garden. This is my absolute favorite spring bulb. Also called Checkered Lilies, Guinea-hen flowers, Leper Lilies, and Snakes Head (according to Wikipedia, this was the original English name). They are so different and understated. Fritillaria have a gentle beauty and don't seem to shout at you like some gaudy tulips or huge daffodils. I am not saying I don't like bright colors, but the delicate beauty of these is simply soothing to the eye and the soul. They do not seem to live for long, returning for at least a few years in ideal conditions. Every year, when they come up, I always wish I had planted many more. This fall I am DEFINITELY going to plant at least 200 to 300 everywhere I can think of. I planted some in my church's garden, but they did not seem as vigorous and large as the ones in my own garden. Now I don't know if that is because of the bulbs or the environment. They like some dampness but not downright wetness. Hmmmm.....Guess I will just plant some more ner where the really healthy ones are this year and some other experimental spots. I love the photo here where one flower alost seems to be hugging the other flower.

Plant some this fall in your own garden. These delicate bulbs are best purchased by mail as then they will arrive in fresh condition. At a store it is difficult to keep them in prime condition. When they arrive by mail, plant within a couple of days if possible. Another day I will discuss Fritillaria imperialis, a sister bulb - it is "imperial" as the name states - it is larger and makes more of a statement.
But the little meleagris or Checkered Lily is to be had for just a few dollars for a hundred, while the imperialis costs about $5 a bulb.

No comments: